Mama. YOU are enough. You ARE enough. You are ENOUGH.
Put the emphasis anywhere you want, the message remains the same: you, imperfectly perfect YOU, are enough for your sweet babes, and I don’t give a damn how many you have or old they are. You are the only mother they will ever have. I promise you, if they had a choice, they would still choose you- over and over again.
They can be 43 years old and you’ll still be enough.
You can be on your own, outnumbered every minute of every day, working your fingers to the bone. Going to school, going to the store, going to work, or just going batshit crazy… you’ll still be enough.
The nights you stay up way too late and finish whatever needs to be done before you finally crawl wearily into your room are proof of your enough-ness.
The nights you cry yourself hoarse in the garage doing laundry that never ends; the nights you cry yourself to sleep, alone in your bed; or the nights you cry in the car on your way home from your 4th 12 hour shift in a row are proof of your enough-ness.
Do you still need more proof?
– the way your little love grabs your face in their hands and says “I love you”
– the way you always manage to show up when they need you most
– the way you hear them vomiting at 3am when you’re being ripped from a sleep you desperately, desperately need
– the way you wonder how you are going to keep going… and manage to anyway, somehow
– the way you worry
– how every. single. thing. you do is for that child; those children; the living pieces of your heart you have loved, nurtured, and set free into the world (even if right now, that world is only kindergarten)
– how you still grab for their hand at 5, 13, or 18, or even 23 when crossing a street
– that you would give your life for that child without question or hesitation
– that you know your children, inside and out
– that you show up for them, even when no one else does
– when you second (and third) guess every single decision you make
– when you are too effing tired to do it but you DO IT ANYWAY
All I am saying is this: if you could- for just one minute- see yourself the way your babies see you… you would be overwhelmed at how much they see you doing. You would be brought to your knees by the ferocity and depth of their love for you.
You would know, in that one precious and fleeting minute, that YOU ARE ENOUGH.
Hang in there, mamas. You are loved. xo